MLS#, City, Zip Code or Address
Property type
Price To
Bedrooms Bathrooms
Year Built To
Building size(Sq. Ft) To

    Singles, Mingles, and Wedding Jingles: Partnerships and Living Arrangements from 1967 to 2014 [July 17, 2015]

    Source: U.S. Census Bureau

    America’s living arrangements have been tracked for nearly half a century by the Census Bureau, and there have been many changes over the years. In particular, young adults aged 18 to 34 have experienced significant changes in who they live with when compared over several generations.
    Making sense of the story
    • In 1967, almost nine in 10 young adults were living in just two arrangements, either with a parent or with a spouse. While about half of 18- to 24-year-olds still live with a parent today, the other half live in more diverse arrangements.

    • Among young adults between the ages of 25 and 34, the majority no longer live with a spouse but with a partner, alone, or with others. Living with others includes living with relatives other than a parent (such as a child) or nonrelatives.

    • The biggest change in living arrangements since 1967 is related to the delay in marriage. On average, young adults wait nearly six years longer to get married today than in 1967.

    • Thirty-nine percent of 18- to 24-year-olds lived with a spouse in 1967, similar to the 43 percent of 25- to 34-year-olds in 2014. Today, only 8 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds live with a spouse, which is proof of people marrying later.

    • The proportion of 18- to 24-year-olds living with an unmarried partner is about nine times higher today than in the 1970s and about 15 times higher for 25– to 34–year–olds.

    • Cohabitation has become so widespread that women now have about a 75 percent chance of living with a partner before marriage by age 30.

    • Young adults are also delaying childbearing but are not necessarily waiting for marriage to have children. Only 60 percent of young adult parents live with a spouse. The remaining 40 percent are single parents.
    Read the full story
    http://blogs.census.gov/2015/07/13/singles-mingles-and-wedding-jingles-partnerships-and-living-arrangements-from-1967-to-2014/